Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Gal's Best Friend

Before you start reading this blog post, I have something to admit. Right now I am in a depressive phase so this post will be shorter than usual. Yes, you can be medicated for bipolar disorder and still get depressed. It is also true for the opposite stage. You can still be manic on medication also. The meds stabilize your moods so you don't feel the extremes, but you still feel emotions.

The thing that baffles me the most is that I feel this way for no apparent reason. My ups and downs sneak up on me. I don't need a reason or life circumstance to cause my mood swings. It just happens.

I have no control of when each emotion will arrive or which one it will be. The feelings come knocking at my door like unexpected guests. I never know which emotion will stop by unannounced. Sometimes I am happy to see who is on the other side of the door. I could be surprised by winning the Publishers Clearing House Million Dollar Prize or a neighbor may drop by with a plate of delicious homemade cookies. Sometimes it could be someone selling religion or an overly priced vacuum cleaner. I don't know who is there until I open the door. Sometimes I welcome the visitor in with a sincere smile and other times I want to yell obscenities and slam the door.

For the past week, I have spent most of my time in bed. If I am not taking a nap, I invite Ben & Jerry to keep me company while I lay in bed. When they are no longer around, I spend some time with Hershey and he offers me Hugs and Kisses. My husband does not mind when they come to visit. He knows that they offer me the type of therapy that nothing else can offer. Sometimes, they are the best visitors that a gal can have in order to get through the rough times.

No comments: